R&R Hamsters News Blog

26 April, 2009

When I started my site about the Roborovski, 5 years ago, I had almost no information on the Roborovski. It was not a well known pet and documentation was very limited. Even on the world wide web. The tiny scraps of info I had I got from crumbling books in the library, encyclopedia's and the limited array of articles that were available to me then.
Since then a lot has happened. I gained a lot of knowledge form personal experience, breeders that were just starting out, contacted me spontaneously giving even more valuable insights on this wonderful critter.
Back then the White Face mutation was unknown.

Nowadays this hamster gained enormous popularity, maybe not as much as the Golden hamster or the Siberian dwarf (or Russian Winter White as we call it here), but more and more people have been sharing their experiences.
Also, more and more sites have been appearing about the Roborovski, which is great. On the downside it also meant that a lot of my content was getting copied without permission. It's inevitable on the Internet, but it hurt nonetheless when people did not contribute me as the source of their information.

I still love Roborovskis and love to share what I know and experience, but contemplated about pulling the plug on the site, because my life is so extremely hectic right know. And it was frustrating to see that when I updated my site in the scarce free time that I have, it immediately oozed into other sites.

But nevertheless, for me, sharing the knowledge I gather about the Roborovski, is more important than people copying my site. If that is what it takes to get that information out there, then so be it.
But my motto is and always has been: "All you have to do is ask". I have thousands of great Roborovski pictures I have not used for my site, which I am happy to give to any one building a site of their own. And people may always use my site as a resource, if you just state that you found the info on my site and link back to me.

So I am not quitting. I have seen to many sites crumble to the pressure of the Internet, I wasn't planning on doing the same. Now if I just had more time on my hands ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home